One of my contact lenses

One of my contact lenses ripped about a month ago, so I’ve been wearing glasses for a while.

I just got new contact lenses last weekend. On Monday, I put them in and wore them around for the first time.

They’re a little bit different from my old lenses. For one thing, they have a slight blue tint to them; presumably to make it easier to locate them when they are swimming around in clear solution.

Anyway, it had been a while since I’d worn contacts. On Monday night I went to bed and completely forgot to take them out.

I woke up Tuesday morning and lay in bed for a minute rubbing my eyes. “I wonder what time it is, it must be half past ten,” I thought. I opened my eyes and sure enough, my digital clock read 10:30.

And I could make out the numbers without squinting.

That’s when I realized what had happened. My eyes felt a little tougher and thicker than usual.

I probably should not have fallen asleep with contact lenses in. I got up and dragged myself into the bathroom and closed the door behind me.

The bathroom in my house is painted blue. “Blue,” I thought. I turned around and looked in the mirror.

My eyes had turned blue.

I blinked and opened my eyelids as wide as I could and tried to shake off sleep.

I don’t mean that my irises had changed from green to blue, either.

I mean that my entire eyeballs, whites and everything, had metamorphosed into a metallic shade of royal blue. Glittering cobalt cataracts sunk deep and dark into my eye sockets.

My vision was still okay, so I wasn’t immediately worried. But there was definitely something weird going on with my eyes.

I turned around to leave the bathroom. I could feel the doorknob jumping out to touch my hand. Except my arms were still at my sides. It was kind of creepy. Then I opened the door and went out.

I was lying on my bed thinking about it all. I opened my eyes and rolled them back and forth from side to side. My eyeballs seemed to be sitting heavier in my head.

I reached out to pick up the phone, and stayed my hand on the receiver. The phone hadn’t actually rung.

Then the phone rang under my hand. I picked it up. “Hello, Shelley,” I said.

Over the course of the conversation, I found myself knowing everything she was going to talk about. By the time I hung up, I was starting to get used to the sensation.

I was seeing things a few seconds before they happened. Like little echoes of time, only in reverse.

I got up and ate an egg sandwich. Then I put on a pair of sunglasses and went downtown.

I’m ready to do some serious work now.